20 years since the iconic Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone was first published!

The Daily Prophet

20-years-of-harry-potter-logo.png.01b9af65c1b3cb52f2221d624c38cf53.png

Monday 26th June 2017 will be a day to remember for Harry Potter fans old and new as it marks 20 years since the iconic Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone was first published! You are hereby invited to save the date for magical happenings!

From an idea born on a train journey to its creation in a small cafe in Edinburgh, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone started a global phenomenon. It has sold over 450 million copies worldwide in 79 languages, inspired a major movie franchise, a spellbinding theatre production and captivated readers of all ages for twenty years.

Bloomsbury will be marking this magical moment with an amazing celebration, including:

Four fabulous new Hogwarts House Editions of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone : Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin, illustrated by Levi Pinfold, Kate Greenaway Medal winner. The front covers feature the crest for each Hogwarts house in vibrant house colours and sprayed edges. Each edition has exciting new extra content including fact files, profiles of favourite characters and line illustrations exclusive to that house. Find out more here

Further celebrations will be marked by a major partnership between Bloomsbury and the British Library. The British Library will curate and launch a brand new exhibition about the magic of Harry Potter, inspired by J.K. Rowling’s modern masterpiece, opening 20th October 2017. This will be the first British Library exhibition inspired by a single series of books by a living author. From medieval descriptions of dragons and griffins, to the origins of the Philosopher’s Stone, the exhibition will take readers on a spellbinding journey to the heart of the Harry Potter stories. 

Plus many more magical surprises to be announced! Be the first to hear the latest news and exciting plans as they are announced in the coming months, by following #HarryPotter20 .

What have you done to celebrate?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • 1 year later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dumbledore

• 2ndamigo

• moonlightwishes

• The Daily Prophet

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Monday 26th June 2017 will be a day to remember for Harry Potter fans old and new as it marks 20 years since the iconic Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone was first published! You are hereby inv

It seems crazy that it's now been 23 odd years or so old now, although I suppose I did grow up reading the books, so it makes sense. I can't even remember when I first read the series, let alone which

It's scary how time flys.... I can't believe it's been that long.

Posted Images

20somethingnewpotterlover

As I am a new fan and just started reading the books about six weeks ago I guess mine would be starting the books. 

• Headmaster
Dumbledore
On 23/02/2019 at 18:35, 20somethingnewpotterlover said:

As I am a new fan and just started reading the books about six weeks ago I guess mine would be starting the books. 

Mine was from the 3rd film (Azkaban) after which I started reading the books once Order of the Pheonix came out.

• 10 months later...
2ndamigo

It seems crazy that it's now been 23 odd years or so old now, although I suppose I did grow up reading the books, so it makes sense. I can't even remember when I first read the series, let alone which book I read first, so I know I have to have been fairly young. I first watched the movies when I was about 6 or 7.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • 2 months later...
moonlightwishes
On 09/01/2020 at 01:49, 2ndamigo said:

It seems crazy that it's now been 23 odd years or so old now, although I suppose I did grow up reading the books, so it makes sense. I can't even remember when I first read the series, let alone which book I read first, so I know I have to have been fairly young. I first watched the movies when I was about 6 or 7.

I know what you mean. It makes sense that's almost 23 years old as I was about 10 when I first started reading the books, but it just doesn't feel like it. I celebrated by reading the books.

• Thumbs Up 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• Similar Content

• Dumbledore
      By Dumbledore
      LEGO® Harry Potter™ Advent Calendar
      Behind each of the 24 doors is a different toy or figure from the Harry Potter series. As the big day gets closer, kids can recreate Hogwarts™ holiday scenes – including the amazing Yule Ball!
      LEGO Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire™ sets

Kids can combine the 24 advent calendar gifts to recreate favorite scenes from the Harry Potter movies and role-play stories and adventures of their own. The calendar contains minifigures – including Harry Potter, Hermione Granger™, Ron Weasley™, Padma Patil, Parvati Patil and Cho Chang – and buildable models, such as a miniature Beauxbaton’s carriage and a dining table with ice-castle centerpiece.

Cool collectible building toys
      The extensive range of LEGO Harry Potter models and playsets provide fans of the series with endless imaginative fun and creative display possibilities.
      Give LEGO® Harry Potter™ fans a magical build-up to Christmas with the toy-a-day LEGO Harry Potter Advent Calendar (75981). Behind each of the 24 doors is a different Harry Potter toy to build, play with and display. Includes Harry Potter™, Hermione Granger™, Ron Weasley™, Padma Patil, Parvati Patil and Cho Chang minifigures, plus buildable models such as a miniature Beauxbaton's carriage and dining table with ice-castle centerpiece. As the big day gets closer, kids can recreate Hogwarts™ holiday scenes – including the amazing Yule Ball! This magical, festive calendar is a perfect pre-Christmas gift for kids aged 7 and up – with 24 days of surprises and imaginative Harry Potter™ fun that lasts all year long. The 24 Harry Potter™ gifts found within this special holiday calendar can be built together with all other original LEGO® sets and LEGO bricks for endless creative building. No batteries required. This set of 24 mini-builds offers hands-on, imaginative play that never runs out! Packed with many cool Harry Potter™ toys to inspire imaginative play through Christmas and beyond. LEGO® Harry Potter™ sets contain favorite characters, amazing features and familiar locations from the popular movies. They make ideal gifts for anyone wanting to recreate the movie magic. LEGO® construction toys meet the highest industry standards to ensure every brick is consistent and compatible, connecting and pulling apart perfectly every time – no magic required! All LEGO® bricks and pieces are dropped, heated, crushed, twisted and analyzed to make sure each one meets the highest safety standards in the world.  
      Buy now from Lego.com:
      UK
      CA
      USA
    • Dumbledore
      By Dumbledore
      LEGO Harry Potter 4 Privet Drive (75968) building set from the Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets movie takes kids into one of the most infamous houses in all the Harry Potter movies. Harry Potter fans will have endless fun with Harry, Ron Weasley, Dudley Dursley, Vernon Dursley, Petunia Dursley and Dobby minifigures in all the dollhouse settings.

They’ll enjoy imaginative play all over the fully equipped 2-storey house, including locating Harry’s secret cupboard under the stairs and activating the flood of Hogwarts acceptance letters through the fireplace.
      The magical excitement continues outdoors when Ron appears at the upstairs window with the collectible Harry Potter Ford Anglia flying car toy. Kids open the boot to find the chain, attach it to the window, and in no time, the window is pulled off and Harry escapes!
      If you’re looking for the best children’s toy, LEGO Harry Potter gifts offer endless creative fun with collectible minifigures and amazing features.
      The house measures over 6” (16cm) high, 6” (16cm) wide and 4” (12cm) deep and the car is over 4” (12cm) long.
      Contains 797 pieces.

Buy Now From Amazon:
      UK
    • Dumbledore
      By Dumbledore
      LEGO® Minifigures (71028) Harry Potter™ Series 2 collectible bags

On a recent trip to Tesco, we noticed that Lego release series 2 of the very popular Harry Potter LEGO® Minifigures (71028). You'll find these around the GM/Toys dept, usually on some sort of shipper or stand.

Magic can be found everywhere! Kids and fans will love these awesome LEGO® Minifigures (71028) Harry Potter™ Series 2 collectible bags. Each mystery bag contains 1 of 16 different toy characters from the Harry Potter series.

Amazing character lineup for creative activities
      Fans young and old can collect, play with or display some great character toys from the Harry Potter series, including Harry Potter, Hermione Granger™, Ron Weasley™, Ginny Weasley™, Fred Weasley, George Weasley, Luna Lovegood™, Moaning Myrtle, Griphook, Headmaster Albus Dumbledore™, Professor Sprout, Neville Longbottom™, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Bellatrix Lestrange, Lily Potter and James Potter.

Cool accessories and collectible toys
      Each of the finely crafted, highly detailed minifigures comes in a sealed mystery bag with 1 or more accessory elements to add to the action, including some never-before-seen accessories for certain characters, plus a collector’s leaflet with character information.
      Immerse fans in wizarding role play with these cool LEGO® Minifigures (71028) Harry Potter™ Series 2 sets. Play starts straight out of the bag! These make great gifts and collectibles for fans of any age. What’s in the bag? Kids can find characters from the Harry Potter™ movies to add to their LEGO® Minifigures (71028) collection or Harry Potter sets. Each minifigure comes with 1 or more accessories and an information leaflet. These awesome minifigures are great for imaginative play, where kids can adventure with their favorite characters in current sets that they own, make them part of new stories with other models or collect them to display. Any Harry Potter™ fan will love these unique collectible toys. The detailed LEGO® Minifigures and their accessories will thrill any kid and make a great gift for boys and girls aged 5 and up. Small yet mighty! These mystery bags each contain 1 of 16 awesome Harry Potter™ universe minifigure toys, complete with one or more accessories. Totally portable and ready for play or display. Are you Hufflepuff, Slytherin, Ravenclaw or Gryffindor? Powered by a child’s imagination for hours of fun! Battery-free toys help boost kids’ creative and group play skills and lets them imagine new stories on their own. Open the bag and the play begins with assembling the minifigure. Easy-to-follow instructions make building a snap, giving kids the joy of constructing their own fun collectible toy - and loads of creative play. Give youngsters iconic characters for play or display with LEGO® Minifigures collectibles. These fun, mini playsets offer open-ended play that helps build children’s creativity and imagination skills. LEGO® bricks meet the highest industry standards and quality criteria, so they are consistent, compatible and connect and come apart easily every time – it’s been that way since 1958. LEGO® bricks are dropped, heated, crushed, twisted and analyzed to make sure every kid’s building toy meets the highest global safety and quality standards.  

Buy Now From LEGO.com
      UK
      CA
      USA
    • Dumbledore
      By Dumbledore
      Potential spin-off could focus on the years between ‘Fantastic Beasts’ and ‘Harry Potter’
      Warner Bros. is participating in the developing of the new show which will be set between the Fantastic Beasts films time frame and the Harry Potter series time frame, with a focus on young Dumbledore and his adventures!
      According to We Got This Covered, the idea for a spin-off series focusing on Albus Dumbledore’s younger years is being considered at the streaming service.

With the reports still yet to be confirmed, if they are true, it is unlikely that the series would be coming to screens anytime soon.
      However, the report stated that the show’s production won’t happen until the end of the Fantastic Beasts franchise. The Harry Potter spinoff’s third movie is in the middle of preparations for filming. It has a tentative November 2021 theater release date. The original production date was slated for March 2020, but then the pandemic struck.

• Dumbledore
      By Dumbledore
      Witches and Wizards,
      Help return Brilliant Foundables from the Hall of Prophecy during Part 2 of the Battle of the Department of Mysteries Brilliant Event, starting Tuesday, September 22 at 11 a.m. PT. 

The Brilliant Foundables featured during this event can be found in the following locations:
      Masked Death Eater - Wizarding Challenges Ginny Weasley - Brilliant Portkey Hermione Granger - Tasks Brilliant Harry Potter - Encounter Brilliant Prophecy Orb - Encounter  
      Brilliant Portkeys for this event will be 1.5km. As a reminder, Part 1 Portkeys will give you Part 1 rewards anytime you open them, even if you wait to open them during Part 2. 

Don’t forget to pick up your complimentary store pack which will contain the following:
      6x Baneberry 4x Bulbadox Juice 4x Angels Trumpet 2x Erumpent Horn 25 Spell Energy  
      Features Event-only 1.5k Portkeys, Brilliant Foundables, Brilliant Runestones, and Brilliant Event tasks Free store pack featuring: -Ingredients for 1 Tonic for Trace Detection (6 Baneberry, 4 Bulbadox Juice, 4 Angel’s Trumpet, 2 Erumpent Horn) -25 Spell Energy
      All Possible Rewards Earn up to 10 Defense Against the Dark Arts Books!!! Earn up to 15 Restricted Section Books. Earn up to 5 total Spell Books. Earn 50 Gold. Spell Energy rewards! Various other exciting rewards (Ingredients, Potions, and more!) from both regular tasks and bonus tasks.
      Page One of Four
      Collect 2 ingredients or Portmanteaus: 2 Erumpent Horn Brew Regular Invigoration Draught 1 time: 4 Snowdrop Return 5 Brilliant Prophecy Record: Strong Exstimulo Potion REWARD:  550 XP, 50 Brilliant Family XP, 2 Restricted Section Books, 10 Spell Energy As you collect Brilliant Prophecy Records, it may be smart to hold off on placing them in the Registry just yet. Below, you'll see that there will be a task to place Brilliant images later in the quest.

Page Two of Four
      Use Master Notes to brew faster 2 times: 1 Powdered Dragon Claw Use Regular Invigoration Draught 2 times: 2 Leaping Toadstool Collect 2 Brilliant Event Runestones: 1 Dark Detector REWARD: 750 XP, 75 Brilliant Family XP, 2 Restricted Section Books, 10 Spell Energy
      Page Three of Four
      Earn 7500 Wizarding XP from Challenges: 1 Silver Key Defeat 15 Foes in Challenges: 1 Armadillo Bile Complete 3 Wizarding Challenges with 3 or more teammates: 2 Healing Potions REWARD: 1250 XP, 75 Brilliant Family XP, 5 Restricted Section Books, 10 Spell Energy Checking in on the Knight Bus to see which Ruins Chambers currently has active players is a terrific way to take care of the battling with other teammates if you don't have friends with you playing the game in-person.

Page Four of Four
      Return 15 Brilliant Harry Potter: 1 Spell Book Earn 500 Brilliant Family XP: 1 Spell Book Collect 15 Mysterious Note Pieces by returning Brilliant Event Foundables: 1 Spell Book REWARD: 1 Brilliant Hermione, 50 Gold, 5 Restricted Section Books, 5 Defense Against the Dark Arts Books, 30 Spell Energy By the time this stage is completed, you will likely be able to place most, if not all, of the Battle of the Department of Mysteries Brilliant Event Part 2 images. Make sure the Bonus task is active before you do so, so you can make use of the final task and get that Silver Key.

Bonus:
      Use Tonic for Trace Detection 2 Times: 1 Granian Hair Return 45 Brilliant Foundables: 1 Spell Book Win in your highest unlocked Chamber: 1 Spell Book Defeat 15 Formidable Foes in Challenges: 1 Scintillation Potion Place 5 Brilliant Images in the Registry: 1 Silver Key REWARD: 2000 XP, 100 Brilliant Family XP, 5 Defense Against the Dark Arts Books, ID Icon, 5 Ginny Weasley, 30 Spell Energy
      Keep an eye out for Bonus Assignments that will be available in game after the main tasks have been completed!

Please note: To enable as many players around the world as possible to participate safely, this event has been adjusted to facilitate playing from wherever you are. Please remember to adhere to local rules and regulations, and be respectful of others and your surroundings.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.