Sign in to follow this  
Dumbledore

The Harry Potter global phenomenon - do you class it as a part of your life?

Dumbledore

Harry Potter has since became such an a global phenomenon that it’s hard to see the full scope what it accomplished over the years. J.K. Rowling was an unknown single mom when she first got the idea for her story while stuck on a train; the small UK children’s press that ultimately took a chance on it undoubtedly couldn’t have predicted that it would have a measurable effect on everything it touched. Now one of the biggest forces in pop culture, it changed the way that businesses published books for kids.

It’s remarkable that Harry Potter was rejected from no less than nine different publishers in the UK (all of whom rue the day, to be sure). Little finally got the manuscript into the hands of an agent at Bloomsbury, and they bought the rights for something like 2,000 pounds.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone was released in the UK on June 30, 1997. The books were around for a long time before Harry Potter. But JK Rowling turned book consumption, especially for children, into something close to addiction. You want proof? The UK release of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban in 1999 was timed at 3.45pm to prevent children in England and Wales from skipping school to get their copy. The later books got HUGE but it didn't stop kids devouring them. Grown-ups got hooked too, with the books being released in adult-friendly covers. The book releases themselves became headline news: when the fourth book Goblet of Fire came out in 2000, booksellers around the world got together to coordinate the first ever global midnight launch.

Harry-Potter_2jpg.jpg.3751cef353064f121ee0268cdce378c6.jpg

I'll admit, I was a later comer to the Harry Potter series. Believe it or not, it wasn't till I saw promo advertising for Harry Potter and The Prisoner Of Azkaban at my first job. Now, don't get me wrong I had seen Harry Potter and The Philosophers Stone Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets when they came out on DVD! (Not Bluray). But I didn't like the movies, I didn't 'get it'. So after looking through the promo advertising it looked far more interesting, plus the fact that Hermione (Emma Watson) was my age, she looked pretty. I bought the DVD, took it home that evening, setup the DVD and TV, sat down and watched it.... I LOVED IT! From that day forth I've been hooked. Despite your own preferences, is widely known as the best film in the series. (Just saying)

I was a part of the generation that truly grew up with harry potter...

The characters were around my age and I just loved the magical world, I was hooked! I remember making friends over the years and sharing stories, theories and bickered countless hours over how the screenwriters left out seemingly crucial scenes from the books, or how the actors playing the three leads just weren’t cutting it, or how impossible it is to ever recreate on the screen the universe that we’ve designed in our heads over all the years of reading the series.

In the early 2000's Harry Potter was alive and breeding on the Internet, thanks to fan sites such as ' the-leaky-cauldron ', '  mugglenet ' & of course the famous veritaserum.com - forums. Potter Web masters Emerson Spartz of Leaky Cauldron and Melissa Anelli of Mugglenet agree that between 2000 and 2003 the Potter galaxy exploded again, from publishing phenomenon to cultural phenomenon.

DSC03368.jpg.475f6acfa1b5f25b766201d2dbffd45e.jpg

So when someone says that Harry Potter changed the world, it’s not exactly an exaggeration. I'm sure I speak for many who believe that Harry Potter is simply a part of their lives.

Thoughts?

Do you think this sort of phenomenon will ever happen again in our lifetimes?

haejuahn

I think it's a world phenomenon for sure. Maybe not everybody loves HP but people definitely know HP. It was the movie the one that got me. The first movie, they aired it on TV already. HP was the one who introduced me to the fantasy world and until today it's really hard to find something that can be the series.

On 25/02/2020 at 05:11, Dumbledore said:

Do you think this sort of phenomenon will ever happen again in our lifetimes?

Yes, I hope so!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• JustCollecting
      By JustCollecting
      Hi,   We're selling a JK Rowling handwritten book containing official Hogwarts advice for first years. The book was originally created for a 2004 charity auction, where it sold for £10,000.    The market for Rowling's memorabilia has exploded since then and we're expecting it to sell for up to £150,000.    Thought you guys might be interested in having a look. Link is here: https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/miniature-harry-potter-manuscript-handwritten-by--13-c-cec4209888   If you have any questions about it feel free to AMA.
    • Rune8Valentine
      By Rune8Valentine
      Hi everyone, 
      So I'm not sure if I should reply to this to say that I am brand new, but here I am!
      I am very interested in being part of Slytherin and due to my very own cunning and ambitious nature, I am sure to make sure that I help as much as possible to make Slytherin the winning house!
      I'm also open to meeting and making new friends, as well as into fan-fiction and writing in general. 
      Apart from that, I do have a dark and sarcastic nature, but that's just me. I am a big fan of Quidditch, just to put it out there as well. 
      Looking forward to hearing more from you. 
    • VoldyflakesBoggart
      By VoldyflakesBoggart
      Hi Everyone!

I want to hear what your top 5 favourite scenes are from the films! It's been so long now since the last instalment of Harry's story released so I'm sure you've all had a lot of time to think about it! Feel free to mention any of your favourite moments from the books too!

Here is my list:

5 - Lupin turns into a Werewolf - PoA
      4 - Harry hears voices in detention with Lockhart - CoS
      3 - Dumbledore vs Voldemort in the Ministry of Magic - OotP
      2 - Harry and Ron escape Aragog - CoS
      1 - The graveyard scene - GoF

Can't wait to hear your thoughts!
    • Dumbledore
      By Dumbledore
      Entering through the Great Hall doors, visitors will be greeted by a sea of green as the Slytherin house banners from the film series are suspended from the enchanted ceiling, denoting a Slytherin victory of the House Cup.

Known throughout the eight films for its ambition and links to dark magic, Slytherin house is home to some of the greatest wizards of all time.

This April, we’re inviting you to join us to discover the secrets behind some of the iconic costumes and props belonging to your favourite cunning Slytherin characters.
      You won’t have to be under the guise of Polyjuice potion to discover the secrets of the Slytherin common room up close, as for the first time ever, you are invited to gather around the imposing fireplace and sofas where Ron’s magical transformation began to wear off, revealing his ginger hair. During this special feature, a 25-foot high section of this iconic set will be on display, furnished and dressed with authentic props. During filming, Production Designer Stuart Craig wanted a very different atmosphere to the warm colours of Gryffindor so designed the Slytherin common room set to look like a dungeon carved out of solid rock. You’ll be able to see the hand-crafted wall tapestries, which had the red tones completely taken out of the colour palette to add to the austere atmosphere and further highlight the iconic Slytherin colours, green and silver.

When stepping into the Great Hall, you’ll be greeted by a sea of green house banners from the film series are suspended from the enchanted ceiling, denoting a Slytherin victory of the House Cup. Above the teacher’s table, Gryffindor banners will be displayed in reference to the final scenes of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone in which Dumbledore awards last-minute house points resulting in a Gryffindor triumph.

Paying homage to some of Slytherin’s most esteemed witches and wizards, a number of original costumes belonging to the Malfoy family will be on display allowing you to see how the designs changed to depict their rise and fall in power and status alongside Lord Voldemort. The evolution of Voldemort’s costumes showing his growth from orphan, Tom Riddle, to young Hogwarts student to prolific villain will also be showcased.

News Source & Image Credits;
      Warner Bros. Studio Tour London

• Dumbledore
      By Dumbledore
      Discussion topic

This October, you can pick up a newly designed, full-colour version of the first Harry Potter story, brought to life by MinaLima; the design studio who mastermind the artistry that helps bring Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts to life.

About Us

The Wizarding World | Harry Potter Fan Forums

A friendly and welcoming community for fans of Harry Potter! Quizzes, Earn Points For Your House, Competitions, Memorabilia, Fan Art, Fan Fiction, Pictures, Wallpapers and more!
TheWizardingWorld.co.uk is run by a group of dedicated enthusiasts on a not-for-profit basis.

Disclaimer

TheWizardingWorld.co.uk website are in no way affiliated with or endorsed by J.K. ROWLING WIZARDING WORLD which is a trademark of J.K. Rowling and Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc or any of it's worldwide subsidiaries or associates. Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts characters, names and related indicia are trademarks of and Warner Bros. Ent. All Rights Reserved..

Affiliate & Notice

TheWizardingWorld.co.uk is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com/Amazon.co.uk

Note: TheWizardingWorld.co.uk claims no credit for any images posted on this site unless otherwise stated. Images on this site belong to their respective owners. If there is an image on this website that belongs to you and you do not wish for it appear on this site, please use the Contact Us button with a link to said image and it will be promptly removed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.