Sign in to follow this  
AnotherWeasley

Snape: good or bad?

AnotherWeasley

Out of curiosity, what does everyone here think of Snape? Do you think he's a good guy or bad?

Personally, I think bad. Growing up, he had 1 friend, who was muggle born and he still decided to join the Death Eaters. People say that James bullied him, but we only see part of their time at school and only from Snape's point of view.

He was obsessed with that friend and only turned to Dumbledore because Voldemort was about to kill her. He then only spied on Voldemort for a few months before Voldemort disappeared. When Lily died, he just stepped over James (not checking if he was still alive) and didn't do anything to comfort Harry.

When Harry became a Hogwarts student, Snape did protect him, but also tormented him and his class mates. So much that Neville's boggart turned into Snape.

So I think he was a bad guy with some good qualities.

moonlightwishes

I think Snape was a good person who made bad choices. Yes James bullied him, but Lupin also pointed out that both weren't totally innocent it was just a matter of who started it at that particular moment. I can see why he was swayed by Voldemort and his Death Eaters. A lonely kid who had only one friend, who also didn't have a great home life with a muggle father who obviously abused his witch mother. So of course he had a bad view on muggles and who knows how the Death Eaters presented themselves at first. It could have started out as talk about how witches and wizards were so much better because (insert reason here), and already not totally liking muggles because of his father in the first place he agreed and started hanging out with them. Voldemort was very charming and could easily manipulate, though it's always easier to manipulate young people who don't quite fit in and are longing to be accepted by at least someone. Yes it was for a selfish reason, but he did realize exactly what he got himself into tried to correct it, putting his life at risk in the process. 

As for Lily, yes I think he was too obsessed. Okay, so she was the one that got away. Get over it. Who hasn't had a crush on someone who didn't reciprocate those feelings? It's not fun and it hurts, but you have to move on. No, I do not think he cared about James or Harry at that moment. His heart was breaking because the love of his life was dead and that's all he was feeling right then and there. He could have been kinder to baby Harry, yes I agree.

Yes, Snape did protect Harry, and he knew Voldemort would return because Dumbledore knew it himself. Even though he supposedly died, his body wasn't even there in Godric's Hollow, so Dumbledore knew it wasn't over.

Snape was horrible to everyone but Slytherins, yes. However, knowing that Voldemort would return, he had to be relentless. It wouldn't look good for him to be nice to anyone who wasn't a Slytherin, especially with Draco there who tells his father everything that happens at school (I'm sure his parents questioned him, too). That did come with some consequences though, because I do feel for Neville and everyone else. He probably could have eased up just a little.

Even after Dumbledore died, he kept up his end of the bargain though. He did give Harry his memories when he could have just not mentioned it. Also, when Harry goes to Hogwarts, Snape doesn't necessarily try to stop him. He makes a big speech and then takes off. He doesn't fight or try to kill the other students. Could he maybe have protected them? Yes, though I honestly think he knew about the Room of Requirement and just didn't bother anyone. It's quite unclear as to whether or not Snape partook in the physical punishments to students, but it didn't seem that way. He allowed it to keep up appearances (he probably didn't know Voldemort was going to kill him and wanted to try and save his own life).

I definitely don't defend his bad choices, but I can see why he became a Death Eater, and how he got himself in that situation in the the first place. We have to remember he was young when he became a Death Eater. Lily and James died at 21 years old, so Snape was like 17 or a little older when he started. He wasn't fully mature yet. Being broken inside, it definitely took him longer to mature and really realize what he had done, though the damage was done and he had to continue.

Edited by moonlightwishes

LexMooreJones

Unpopular opinion I’m sure but I really do think Snape should’ve been there in deathly hallows p2 when Harry faced Voldemort in the forbidden forest 

HecateHubble

I think Snape only wanted to help Harry because of Lily. Take his love for her  out of the equation he wouldn’t have cared if he lived or died. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Lily Potter Jr.

I think that he was somewhen in between. It was like he was a good person who wanted to be bad. He only helped harry because of Lily, and he called Lily a mudblood, but on the inside, he had no choice but to be good.

• Thumbs Up 1

HufflepuffHeir

I would place him as a grey character. He is not bad and not good.

I think the bullying he went through when he was in school pushed him to do terrible things.   He was extremely loyal to Lily. I know it was because he was in love with her, but I would love to see his past explored more. I loved the sequence in the DH. 

• Thumbs Up 1

azkabanshee

I think Snape was a very complicated (and therefore very human) character. He kept his word, and he risked (and ultimately lost) his life protecting Harry. And, when you consider the position he was in, it's not hard to consider why he might have kept his distance from Harry and the other students (and even most teachers, considering he likely knew one day several would die). He had a lot on his plate, and keeping that ice cold exterior probably protected him (or at least he might have felt like it did). He also lost the only person he ever loved, once to James and again to death... Snape probably needed some therapy, I mean who wouldn't after all that?? So, I have a lot of compassion for him.