NOTICE: Hogwarts Club Quizzes - Remember, you must be signed into the forums and JOIN the club of your choice in order to play 'club quizzes'.
Sign in to follow this  
kaedequinn

Were Harry, Ron and Hermione in the wrong houses?

I've thought for a long time now that Harry, Ron and Hermione were put into the same house for convenience

Harry-Ron-and-Hermione-Wallpaper-harry-ron-and-hermione-26304319-1280-800.jpg.7ac4a29e73e02f57213458e6cf441d9c.jpg

Hear me out : First off, we know that the Sorting Hat took time for Hermione, and finally decided on Gryffindor. The hat also considered Ravenclaw but what about Hufflepuff?? Hermione was very loyal to Harry throughout the entire series. She sticks by him no matter what, even when Ron went into jealous fits and left Harry to deal with things by himself (examples - when Harry's name came out the Goblet of Fire and when hunting for Horcruxes) yet Hermione stayed to help Harry. She believed in him and was incredibly loyal to him - a trait associated with Hufflepuff. She broke rules to help the boys and lied about the troll making her become friends with Harry and Ron. 

I honestly believe Ron would have done better academically if he wasn't in Gryffindor - because being placed in the same house as all his brothers means he already has a reputation to live up to before he's barely even started there. I don't know what other house Ron could have belonged to - a small part of me thinks Slytherin but I don't think he has the right personality for being in Slytherin. Had he not felt he had to live up to the expectations based on his brothers all being in Gryffindor, there's a chance he could have done very well in Ravenclaw.

As for Harry, my opinion on his house is divided. Although he proved to be brave, he was also loyal towards those he loved, even sacrificing himself at the end of Deathly Hallows. He even told Narcissa Malfoy that her son - a boy who'd basically bullied him for 6 years - was alive, which allowed her to lie to Voldemort about Harry's supposed death. He broke up with Ginny to protect her and her family, and didn't want his friends to die during the battle of the 7 Potters. But, he was also very brave! He is also fairly bright and probably would have done well in Ravenclaw! The Sorting Hat thought he'd do well in Slytherin, because of the part of Voldermort's soul that was in Harry. I don't think the Sorting  Hat would have even considered Slytherin otherwise, and I certainly wouldn't have put him in Slytherin. 

Anyway, I do feel that JK Rowling put them all into the same house for convenience - had the three of them been in different houses I don't think they'd have been able to help each other much, and they probably wouldn't have been as close. Certainly Harry and Hermione needed to be in the same house to ensure they were able to help each other, and Harry wouldn't have got very far without her.

I'd love to know what others think about this topic, because it has bugged me so much! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sign in to follow this