Dumbledore

Are Hogwarts students taught Maths & English? (Non-Magical Classes)

Dumbledore
I was Tweeted at today and asked; ' who are Hogwarts’ English and maths teachers? As far as I can tell, they never get taught the basics, so where do they learn them?'

FiliusFlitwick_PM_B1C10M2_CharmsClass_Moment.thumb.jpg.fcfa1a69cb71379a4cdd35279d0f09e8.jpg

This made me wonder if children who attend or graduate from Hogwarts have an education that can be used in the Muggle world? Do students learn English and Maths?

As Tweeted here:

With some research we can see that Arithmancy is taught but that's the study of the magical properties of numbers, not maths.

How do younger wizards and witches get educated in basic skills like reading and writing?

• We see very little of this in the books, although obviously the kids entering Hogwarts have been trained in some of these basic skills or they wouldn’t be able to handle the classes the face at Hogwarts. Given the very medieval nature of the wizarding world, I suggest that most kids are trained either by their parents in basic reading, writing, and math, or are trained in small one-room schools with a relatively few children and one teacher. This training would cover the basics and enough pre-magic theory to produce kids who can function in wizarding society.

Currently taught at Hogwarts

• Herbology = Botany/Gardening
  • Care of Magical Creatures = Zoology/Veterinary Science
  • Arithmancy = Arithmetic/Mathematics
  • Potions = Chemistry/Cookery/Pharmacology
  • Astronomy = (Astro)physics/Mathematics/Geography (of the Heavens)
  • Charms = Latin/Drama/Kinetics
  • DADA = Physical Education/Chemistry/Physics
  • Divination = Mathematics/Psychology/Philosophy/Lunacy
  • Ancient Runes = History/Logic/Mathematics/Linguistics
  • Transfiguration = Physics/Biology (bioenergetics)/Physical Education
  • History of Magic = History/Tolerance (of boredom)
  • Flying = Physical Education/Driving Lessons
  • Muggle Studies = History/Sociology/Technology etc.

I'm very interested if anyone does know or has their own ideas on the matter. We'd love to hear your comments.

xEmmaberryx

I would assume they at least have Maths and English up until age 11, so that children who have grown up in the Wizarding World are at an equal level to those raised in the Muggle World. As for learning there, I think there would be a section for Maths and English, even if it's in the Muggle Studies section. 
Since the books are set in the 90s, there's only about 80 years of consistent cinema, politics and Muggle history would be a big one to look at, but I would hope there's a section on what Muggle children learn and that would be the way to incorporate Maths and English in. Artimacy would presume to have problems to solve, to understand the properties. And with Latin, there must be someway for the Latin to be translated into English. 

Overall though, I think that Maths and English are probably self directed and up to the students, with the limited supply the Hogwarts library would have. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Renai Leeben Villanueva

Before getting a Hogwarts Letter they went to muggle schools and in there, they were given Math and English lessons. Also, Hogwarts don't teach alien language and students are doing essays so they're still learning English. Arithmancy is Math-like. So I think Muggles and Wizards are the same 

• Thumbs Up 1

Maria Jalba

English isn't în Harry Potter books, but it's really an important thing! Witches  are possibly learned at home English and at school they know this language perfectly

• Thumbs Up 1

kaedequinn

I thought that muggle born children went to school as usual before going to Hogwarts. Magical children I assume would either go to a muggle primary school, so they'd have to learnt to read and write etc, or are taught at home. I'm trying to remember who said that the Weasley's were all taught at home by Mrs Weasley ... I assume that pure blood children are more likely to be taught at home - a lot of them don't like muggles! For half blood children I wonder if it's more likely they'll go to a muggle school or not. My concern would be how they'd manage the magic. Whilst with Harry any magic he did at school seemed to be very mild, but as far as we know he was the only wizard in the school. A family such as the Weasley's would find it harder to control their magic, especially if they have each other to persuade them! I imagine larger families like theirs would be taught at home for safety reasons more than anything else! Especially with Fred and George in a class 😂

Dumbledore
On 08/11/2019 at 18:35, kaedequinn said:

I thought that muggle born children went to school as usual before going to Hogwarts. Magical children I assume would either go to a muggle primary school, so they'd have to learnt to read and write etc, or are taught at home.

What about the pure bloods? The malfoys wouldn't want 'their children' mixing with MUGGLES!

Ruth Merry

Advanced Maths and English could well be included in Muggle Studies. Children would have been at regular schools or home taught before going to Hogwarts

• Thumbs Up 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• Dumbledore
      By Dumbledore
      Join Audible today and get your first four months for just £3.99 per month. Enjoy your choice of audiobook each month & unlimited Audible Original Podcasts.

Harry Potter has never even heard of Hogwarts when the letters start dropping on the doormat at number four, Privet Drive. Addressed in green ink on yellowish parchment with a purple seal, they are swiftly confiscated by his grisly aunt and uncle. Then, on Harry’s eleventh birthday, a great beetle-eyed giant of a man called Rubeus Hagrid bursts in with some astonishing news: Harry Potter is a wizard, and he has a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. An incredible adventure is about to begin!

Audible is £3.99/month for the first four months and £7.99/month thereafter. Renews automatically. Cancel anytime.
      Return to Hogwarts today!

Join Audible today and enjoy 50% discount for the first 4 months
      Enjoy 50% discount in the first 4 months, then only pay £7.99/month. You'll get 1 book credit each month to purchase any audiobook of your choice. Take your pick from the world's largest selection, regardless of price, including the latest best sellers. Download the free app and your audiobook will be waiting in your library. Just press play and enjoy.  
      TAKE ADVANTAGE OF 50% OFF NOW

Why become an Audible member?
      You own your audiobooks Your books are yours to keep, even if you cancel. Swap an audiobook for any reason Exchange any book, any time. Free Audio Shows Unlimited listening to original podcasts for members. Exclusive deals throughout the month Up to 80% off selected audiobooks. Listen online or offline Enjoy when you’re online, underground or mid-flight.  
      JOIN NOW!

Don't forget after your trial you can pick up the rest of the series! Remember, you're not only limted to Harry Potter, this covers various books offered by Audible!

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Book 1
      https://amzn.to/2CQDe7J

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Book 2
      https://amzn.to/2CQW4eW

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Book 3
      https://amzn.to/2CSiQ5V

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Book 4
      https://amzn.to/2rY1tPf

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Book 5
      https://amzn.to/37fg7l7

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Book 6
      https://amzn.to/37hy1Uj

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Book 7
      https://amzn.to/340FEfJ
    • Dumbledore
      By Dumbledore
      Audible: Get a FREE Harry Potter audiobooks through Audible (New Members ONLY) - Audible’s 30-Day Free Trial

New Audible members can automatically get two free Audible books, here's what you need to know: If you sign up for Audible’s 30-Day Free Trial , you can download two audio books for free, including two books from the Harry Potter series. Book choices include any of the seven original HP novels, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and more.

Click To Sign Up
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audible-Free-Trial-Digital-Membership/dp/B00OPA2XFG?tag=twwforums-21

• Dumbledore
      By Dumbledore
      Fantasic new range of Harry Potter Christmas jumpers - Amazon
      Every year just before Christmas I'm on the lookout for my next #HarryPotter Christmas jumper, however I've always been a little disappointed to never find exactly what I want. However this year has changed that when I came across these little jems! Great Christmas gift to yourself or a loved one, or just to be extra special at work (I mean, who wouldn't right?).

Details:
      Officially Licensed Product All Sizes Acrylic Machine Washable Regular Fit Long Sleeve Quality Knitted Christmas Jumper Crew neckline with ribbed trim Unisex Design  
      You can search the whole collection here!
      Harry Potter Christmas Jumper Hogwarts Skyline Candle Light Up Official Knitted

To Buy:
      https://amzn.to/37jsoVx

Harry Potter Christmas Jumper Hogwarts Express Official Beige Knitted Xmas

To Buy:
      https://amzn.to/379VxCC

Official Harry Potter Christmas Jumper

To Buy:
      https://amzn.to/2qsCNxN

• Dumbledore
      By Dumbledore
      Step inside the first ever Harry Potter magical Infinity advent calendar. It truly is magical with its unique moving design. The advent-calendar style features 24 secret compartments with marked days. It is available exclusively on Amazon.

Buy now exclusively at AmazonUK
      Product Description
      Contains 120 pounds merchandise value***

The two towers both rotate fully, by 360 degrees, revealing hidden drawers, from which you will conjure up an exclusive Harry Potter gift for each day of December, leading up to Christmas day.
      not only will These items not be available elsewhere, but at less than 3 pounds a day they offer great value, as sold separately they would be worth over 120 pounds!
      from special plush toys to one-of-a-kind charms, there’s something inside for every Harry Potter fan.

officially licensed Warner Bros Harry Potter magical Infinity advent calendar, with 24 items inside. Discover the magic with this unique rotating box. From exclusive plush toys to one-of-a-kind charms, there's something inside for every Harry Potter fan!

Safety Warning
      Not suitable for children under 3 years

Buy now exclusively at AmazonUK

About Us

The Wizarding World | Harry Potter Fan Forums

A friendly and welcoming community for fans of Harry Potter! Quizzes, Earn Points For Your House, Competitions, Memorabilia, Fan Art, Fan Fiction, Pictures, Wallpapers and more!
TheWizardingWorld.co.uk is run by a group of dedicated enthusiasts on a not-for-profit basis.

Disclaimer

TheWizardingWorld.co.uk website are in no way affiliated with or endorsed by J.K. ROWLING WIZARDING WORLD which is a trademark of J.K. Rowling and Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc or any of it's worldwide subsidiaries or associates. Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts characters, names and related indicia are trademarks of and Warner Bros. Ent. All Rights Reserved..

Affiliate & Notice

TheWizardingWorld.co.uk is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com

Note: TheWizardingWorld.co.uk claims no credit for any images posted on this site unless otherwise stated. Images on this site belong to their respective owners. If there is an image on this website that belongs to you and you do not wish for it appear on this site, please e-mail us with a link to said image and it will be promptly removed..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.