Sign in to follow this  
Lord Al

Why did the Voldemort send death eaters to enter Hogwarts

Lord Al

For what purpose did the death eaters enter Hogwarts
deatheasters.thumb.jpg.d4ea31ebd2bad6d06fba532fd55c2035.jpg

Hello HP fans,

I’ve been a big Harry Potter fan over the years and generally find the plots and stories very consistent throughout the 7 books. However, I cannot fathom why the death eaters decided to enter hogwarts at the end of the book. Why would Voldemort just allow his followers to enter the castle knowing full well dumbledore would eventually return from his travels. After all they have no idea that when he does return he would be in a weakened state and the DE’s normally would flee the fight when he inevitably enters the battle (as they did at the end of OOTP). Furthermore, why on earth would they set off the darkmark alerting dumbledore to there presence. Again, why would anyone assume the old man is not going to return with his full strength and with a rage upon him after seeing the mark in the sky. 

Also so on a final note, did Voldemort not find it strange that dumbledore was in such a weakend state (after all he would of heard the full account from Draco) surely he must of pondered what had put dumby in such poor state

Hopefuly someone one can help me out here. Thanks 

• Like 1

Dumbledore

Hi @Lord Al and what a great set of questions to ask, firstly welcome to our community and thank you so much for joining.

I’ve made a note of these questions and I’ll answer them the best I can a little later, in the mean time if anyone else can share the love and answer them please do as we can open a discussion about it all and share our finding and reasonings. :hogwarts::glasses::default_biggrin:

• Thumbs Up 1

Dumbledore

Right I have a couple of hours now, so I'll see if I can answer this the best I can!

• Thumbs Up 1

Dumbledore

Hi @Lord Al I've finished writting up this essay! :default_rofl:

The deatheaters didn't know that Dumnledore was weakened, it was just that his hand was. It just so happened that Snape had mentioned it to Bellatrix at Spinner’s End. They may have known also from Draco too. So the deatheasters just assumed he'd left the castle and gone to Hogsmeade. Presumably they hoped to get into place and then catch him on his way back - they must have had a lookout posted, and that was how they knew he'd landed on the Astronomy Tower.

We've got to remember that Snape was working for Dumbledore and passing information to Lord Voldemort, with Dumbledore knowing that Draco was up to something, and that he was behind the botched attacks that mistakingly hit Ron and Katie Bell.
But finding out he had been working on repairing the broken Vanishing Cabinet so that he could use it infiltrate Hogwarts was news to him. With that in mind
there was also the likelihood that Voldemort would get control of Hogwarts. Voldemort only wanted 'pure blood' students at the School just like Salazar Slytherin (who wanted to be more selective of the students).

Draco also had a lot riding on his shoulders too, with Voldemort at the family manor he may be thinking that he needs to come through with what was dealt with him to protect his family. As to the night itself, Dumbledore didn’t know the Death Eaters would enter Hogwarts, nor Bellatrix Lestrange, Fenrir Greyback, and the others. He would never have placed the students in his care in such danger if he knew that was a possibility. He knew Draco’s assignment was to kill him, and allowed Draco to proceed without knowing that Dumbledore was onto him. He had hoped that Draco would realise that he is not a killer, that he would ultimately make the right choice and certainly didn’t know that a bloodbath would erupt. Dumbledore had orchestrated his death to be at the hands of Snape, this was to save the power of the Elder Wand which Snape was not aware of, and to not taint Draco Malfoy's soul. He just wasn't aware of the timing of Voldemort's plan the night he died. Had he known that the Death Eaters would have infiltrated Hogwarts that night, he might not have left to find the Horcrux at all. 

We also know that Voldemort wasn't always the smartest, especially in Dumbledors eyes. Let us not also forget that Voldemort was so confident in his own prowess that he did not, even in his wildest dreams think that someone would know about his Horcruxes. He is very clearly arrogant. He believes that he knows the most about Hogwarts and its secrets and that he has gone further than any other wizard on the path to immorality. His arrogance makes him believe that no one could possibly figure out that he has not just 1 but 7 horcruxes.

As for the dark mark, this is clearly arrogance again (showing off) and that he, Voldemort, could get past all the protections put in place to protect Hogwarts and it's students.

I hope this helps you and anyone else, if you need me to elaberate on anything then let us know!

Lord Al

I fear we may have to go back and forth on this topic 😂, but looking forward to it. 

I pretty much agree with all of your above statement.

Dracos motives are clear and simple to me... desperation. I always took it that He lured dumbledore to the tower in the hope of having a face to face with him. Draco understood he could never defeat dumbledore so was secretly hoping dumbledore would disarm him, show mercy and help him. the fact he disarmed dumbledore was a surprise to him which is why he was so stumped and unsure what to next in their exchange.

Where I’m completely missing the point, is the strategic plan behind sending death eaters into castle. What was the goal?As far as we know the goal of Draco killing dumbledore was merely punishment for Lucius’ past failures. Why would Voldemort sign off on such a mission?. voldemort was only arrogant in his own abilities... so many times we were told voldy trusted no one else. So why send your own troops into battle with the (2nd according to voldy) greatest wizard of the time without a real goal or reason. Hope this helps clarify my question. Thanks 🖖🏼

• Thumbs Up 1

Lord Al

Also to pick up your point regarding dumbledores blackened hand. I’m not sure what info would have fed back to Voldemort, but I’m sure no one would’ve told Voldemort  dumbledore is in a compromised state because of it.

Also this has just sprung to mind. Surely Voldemort would remember what curses he placed around and on his horcruxes and what damage they would inflict upon the drinker and wearer.

If we are going on purely his arrogance, would he not think... dumbledore is 2nd only to himself, therefore by default only curses and spells that Voldemort had created could defeat and destroy dumbledore.

no I’m not saying he would jump to the conclusion that his horcruxes were in danger. But wouldn’t he think... wow, dumbledore sure is showing symptoms of my kind of dark curses and spells 🤔😂.

Happy reading 👍🏼

Dumbledore
4 minutes ago, Lord Al said:

But wouldn’t he think... wow, dumbledore sure is showing symptoms of my kind of dark curses and spells 🤔😂.

I don't really know, JKR hasn't really gone into it... I'll shall have to have a word with a few potter heads and see what we can come up.

Lord Al

Thanks headmaster lol. I don't have any HP fans as friends so never had anyone to ask these questions to. Hopefully we can get some help .

Thanks again

Dumbledore
1 minute ago, Lord Al said:

Thanks headmaster lol. I don't have any HP fans as friends so never had anyone to ask these questions to. Hopefully we can get some help .

Thanks again

And that's what our forum is about, bringing people together and their love of Harry Potter.

I'd have to sit down and seriously think about this as I haven't had a question like this and it's quite interesting to think about all these details.

Dumbledore

@roroweasley you seem to be very knowledgeable, how would you best describe he-who-must-not-be-named actions with infiltrating Hogwarts? 

@Lord Al has me stumped on the best way to answer this! 🤣

Dumbledore
On 05/09/2019 at 20:41, Lord Al said:

Also to pick up your point regarding dumbledores blackened hand. I’m not sure what info would have fed back to Voldemort, but I’m sure no one would’ve told Voldemort  dumbledore is in a compromised state because of it.

But all we know is that his hand is blacked and I don't think anymore was thought about it, or at least to no concern to those supporters. Hence why it was never really mentioned.

On 05/09/2019 at 20:26, Lord Al said:

Where I’m completely missing the point, is the strategic plan behind sending death eaters into castle. What was the goal?

If you send them in they can take control of Hogwarts. it's the only wizarding school in the UK. With that in mind, Voldemort can select the teachers and only take pupils of pure blood status. As Voldemort tried to get a teaching post at Hogwarts but was denied by Dumbledore. He knew he had other intentions.

On 05/09/2019 at 20:41, Lord Al said:

Also this has just sprung to mind. Surely Voldemort would remember what curses he placed around and on his horcruxes and what damage they would inflict upon the drinker and wearer.

Maybe so, but it isn't explored so we can only guess?

kaedequinn

I always assumed the reason the Death Eaters were there was because Voldemort didn't believe Draco would actually kill Dumbledore, and maybe they were sent there to report back to Voldemort. Draco could have easily told Voldemort he'd killed Dumbledore after Shape had if the Death Eaters hadn't been there, and therefore would have saved himself from possibly being killed by Voldemort. I feel like they were as proof.

Also, Voldemort loved killing people, and the Death Eaters did too, so I imagine for them seeing Dumbledore,  who was Voldermort's biggest enemy, die would have been a great spectator sport for them!

As for the Dark Mark. Didn't they only cast that after Dumbledore was dead? If so it was probably done as a victory type thing

• Thumbs Up 1

Lord Al
4 hours ago, kaedequinn said:

I always assumed the reason the Death Eaters were there was because Voldemort didn't believe Draco would actually kill Dumbledore, and maybe they were sent there to report back to Voldemort. Draco could have easily told Voldemort he'd killed Dumbledore after Shape had if the Death Eaters hadn't been there, and therefore would have saved himself from possibly being killed by Voldemort. I feel like they were as proof.

Also, Voldemort loved killing people, and the Death Eaters did too, so I imagine for them seeing Dumbledore,  who was Voldermort's biggest enemy, die would have been a great spectator sport for them!

As for the Dark Mark. Didn't they only cast that after Dumbledore was dead? If so it was probably done as a victory type thing

Hi Kaedequinn,

Thanks for joining the thread.

I suppose my thoughts in a  nutshell are.... All of these plans to infiltrate Hogwarts would be perfect if they'd have known Dumbledore was in poor health. But they didn't... so there is no reason to assume they would be successful in a fight fight with him.  Only a year back they tried to flee when he arrived at the ministry and he still managed to single handedly capture most of the DE's and then hold his own (even at his age) in a dual with Voldemort himself. 

Many thanks

Lord Al
Just now, Lord Al said:

Hi Kaedequinn,

Thanks for joining the thread.

I suppose my thoughts in a  nutshell are.... All of these plans to infiltrate Hogwarts would be perfect if they'd have known Dumbledore was in poor health. But they didn't... so there is no reason to assume they would be successful in a fight fight with him.  Only a year back they tried to flee when he arrived at the ministry and he still managed to single handedly capture most of the DE's and then hold his own (even at his age) in a dual with Voldemort himself. 

Many thanks

Also if you remember. The Dark mark was what caused Harry and Dumbledore to rush back to the castle on the brooms

kaedequinn
10 hours ago, Lord Al said:

Also if you remember. The Dark mark was what caused Harry and Dumbledore to rush back to the castle on the brooms

Ah ok. I've not read the books and only seen the movies. In the movie the Dark Mark is cast after Dumbledore was killed.

I don't think anyone knew he was in a weakened state. It's possible that Snape told Voldemort that Dumbledore was looking for Horcruxes and he guessed he'd find the locket, but I doubt it as the cave was designed so anyone trying to get the locket would die. I think the Death Eaters were told to go there by Voldemort, and when Voldemort tells you to do something, you do it. I think the reason the Death Eaters fled after the battle at the Ministy Of Magic was because if they'd caught they'd have ended up back in Azkaban. It was more likely they left so they could spare themselves, and I'm guessing they hadn't been told to fight Dumbledore