Sign in to follow this  
Dumbledore

What annoyed you most about the Harry Potter films?

Dumbledore

What annoyed you most about the Harry Potter films?
hziiv14OpD73u9gAak4XDDfBKa2.jpg.57c2afef0da9acc3e3e4ff4d0b23fd2a.jpg

Me personally, it's the fact that they didn't use a single director for the entire series was perhaps the most annoying part of it for me. Alfonso Cuarón - Got it in my eyes. He knew what he was doing, he knew how to connect with the cast, share his ideas and quite clearly made the best film in the series. And was in my eyes the cloesest to the book, albiet some scenes not making it.

So, what most annoyed you about the films?

• Like 1

xEmmaberryx

For me it's pacing of some of the films. I understand that things had to be cut, and characters missed out or misinterpreted (which is a whole other issue I have with the films), but sometimes they just weren't consistent, or that interesting to watch. 

For example, in Goblet of Fire, it was very much centred on the Triwizard Tournament that you didn't really get a feel for the film canon getting darker, or the students being students. There wasn't even a reason for Quidditch being cancelled, unlike in the books where there was at least that mention. And I feel like the Quidditch World Cup compensated for that, almost like the screenwriter/producers went; "well there's Quidditch already, so we don't need to mention why it isn't happening in the school year." I know that likely isn't the case, and maybe this is my own bias talking because GoF is my least favourite of all the films, but this film definitely doesn't have the best pacing. 

Another (and I'll make it my final example) is Deathly Hallows Part 1 with the camping sequences. Looking at the book it's literally three or four chapters, with scarce mentions after those main camping chapters. It doesn't make sense why we need a third, to half, of the film to be camping. It doesn't add anything except extra depth to the mise-en-scene (what's on screen). The significance of certain locations have to be explained through expositionary dialogue and it's basically a slow, cluggy way showing the passage of time without doing very much, and building up to DH2. 

-Sorry for getting a bit carried away. As much as I love the films, from a film student perspective, there's a lot of flaws with them. I got a little too passionate about it there.-

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

kaedequinn

I think for me one issue I have is that from the third movie onwards the students barely wear their uniforms! I did read online that was due to a change in director, but I feel like the films are supposed to be set in a wizarding school, and they wear normal (muggle) clothes! 

Another issue I really have is that certain things are not explained properly. For example, in the movies Dumbledore never explains to Harry that he has to return to his Aunt and Uncle's house each year for the protection spell to work. This is something that I feel like the audience needed to know! There are other things like this that I can't think of right now ... There's just a lot of things that don't make much sense, that needed to be explained a little better in the movies. I understand that they have to cut things out, but I feel like to better understand certain things there needs to be a bit more explanation!

haejuahn
On 09/09/2019 at 01:20, Dumbledore said:

So, what most annoyed you about the films?

DIDYOUPUTYOURNAMEINTHEGOBLETOFFIRE??? XD

• Haha 1

Dumbledore

Yes! The books said ‘calmly’....

• Haha 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• moonlightwishes
      By moonlightwishes
      Someone posted a topic about what your top 5 favorite scenes in the movies are. I thought I'd start the same topic, but about the books. What are your top 5 favorite scenes in the Harry Potter books?

Here are mine:

1. When Harry goes to Diagon Alley for the first time- SS
      2. When Arthur attacks Lucius Malfoy in Flourish and Blotts for being a jerk- COS
      3. Hermione coming out of nowhere and slapping Draco- POA
      4. Every time Dumbledore and Harry visit a memory Dumbledore collected- HBP
      5. When Luna does the commentary for the Quidditch match- HBP
    • Dumbledore
      By Dumbledore
      Free audiobook trial: Get your free audiobook with your 30-day free trial

Get your free audiobook with your 30-day free trial
      How it works
      Join Audible
      Enjoy 30 days free, then you pay £7.99 per month. Cancel anytime.
      Choose your title
      Take your pick from the world's largest selection, including the latest best sellers.
      Download the app
      Download the free app and your audiobook will be waiting in your library. Just press play and enjoy.
      Get your free audiobook with your 30-day free trial

Why become an Audible member?
      You own your audiobooks Your books are yours to keep, even if you cancel. Swap an audiobook for any reason Exchange any book, any time. Free Audio Shows Unlimited listening to original podcasts for members. Exclusive deals throughout the month Up to 80% off selected audiobooks. Listen online or offline Enjoy when you’re online, underground or mid-flight.  
      JOIN NOW!
    • moonlightwishes
      By moonlightwishes
      I was just wondering what everyone's favorite Harry Potter book is, and why? Even though the first book has a special place in my heart, my favorite is the Half Blood Prince. I always find it interesting when the villains backstory is revealed, and I really enjoyed learning about Voldemort's history, and learning what kind of family he came from.
    • Keith McCloud
    • Crocs77
      By Crocs77
      So, It’s known that Parvati Patil och Lavender Brown are like best friends. But in the films lavender brown looks like padma patil?!?! An example: In the fifth movie, on the dada lesson with slytherin, Parvati and ”Padma” is sitting next to each other in the front row? Padma is wearing a gryffindor cloak-thing on a gryffindore-slytherin lesson? Yes of course this is suppose to be lavender brown but why does she look exactly like her best friend? This was a messy text, but why does Lavender Brown look like Padma Patil in all films except hbp and dh??

About Us

The Wizarding World | Harry Potter Fan Forums

A friendly and welcoming community for fans of Harry Potter! Quizzes, Earn Points For Your House, Competitions, Memorabilia, Fan Art, Fan Fiction, Pictures, Wallpapers and more!
TheWizardingWorld.co.uk is run by a group of dedicated enthusiasts on a not-for-profit basis.

Disclaimer

TheWizardingWorld.co.uk website are in no way affiliated with or endorsed by J.K. ROWLING WIZARDING WORLD which is a trademark of J.K. Rowling and Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc or any of it's worldwide subsidiaries or associates. Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts characters, names and related indicia are trademarks of and Warner Bros. Ent. All Rights Reserved..

Affiliate & Notice

TheWizardingWorld.co.uk is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com/Amazon.co.uk

Note: TheWizardingWorld.co.uk claims no credit for any images posted on this site unless otherwise stated. Images on this site belong to their respective owners. If there is an image on this website that belongs to you and you do not wish for it appear on this site, please use the Contact Us button with a link to said image and it will be promptly removed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.